Have you ever avoided going out to eat just because you have a toddler and there are so many challenges that can go along with that? I know I have definitely thought twice about it many times and have even chosen takeout over going out just because of the stress. As a working mom and a mom of picky eaters, I find myself eating out or getting take-out often.
Here is my secret to making it work… Plan ahead (as much as you can). It’s not always possible because sometimes plans change last minute but if you can, plan ahead.
Tips for eating out with a toddler
- Bring stuff to keep your toddler (and other children) busy. It could be small snacks or toys or both
- Get some disposable table toppers to make eating out a little more sanitary and interesting (some come with stickers)
- Use a toy strap with toys so your toddler doesn’t throw them
- Try to go at times when your toddler is not going to be tired and therefore, cranky
- It’s best to eat at restaurants where it won’t take an hour to get food or 2 hours to be done eating
- Try to eat at restaurants that have a little more noise so if your toddler gets fussy or starts banging on the table, it won’t be completely embarrassing
Product recommendations for eating out with a toddler
Here are some of the products that I recommend to make it easier to go out.
In order to keep things interesting, I tend to have a stash of toys or activities and switch them out. If you just bring the same 2 toys every time, then your child will probably be bored. Finger puppets are another fun one and they won’t hurt anyone if thrown.
Let me know if you try any of these and if they work for you! Comment below.